Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 2
Maidenhead United 1
Half-Time: 0-0 Referee: Mr T Aslam

Colin Davis's side went into this game safe in the knowledge that a single point from their two fixtures with the Magpies would be enough to secure the Capital League Western Division title at the first time of asking.

The first half was to be largely a sizing up exercise with neither side really testing the opposition's custodian.

Hayes & Yeading were first to have a try at breaking the deadlock during the first half, Jake Lovell was tripped just outside the area and Malakai Bulley stepped up to strike the free-kick but was far too high. A few minutes later a Magpies corner was met by their skipper Steve Badu but his header was also far too high. On the half hour mark Lovell raced towards the Magpies goal, a defensive tackle took the ball from his run but straight to Ray Curtis who saw his shot well blocked by Badu.

With ten minutes remaining the visitors should have taken the lead. A throw was helped across the area to the far post where Carl Paul was lurking unmarked, thankfully he shot weakly and Aaron Howe gathered. Just before the break Lovell had another chance after being put through by Ollie Fayed but his shot at full stretch was saved by Paul McCarthy in the Magpies goal.

The second half was to prove a much more exciting event as both sides decided they actually did want to score. First in action was Howe who did well to push a Jean-Black Ngody drive from just outside the area around his post. Minutes later play switched to the other end and Ray Curtis was inches away from opening the scoring. Curtis himself started the move as he brought the ball out from defence, swapped passes with Henry Attu before turning the last defender and hitting a curling shot that went just past the angle of the goal.

Ngody again created a chance for himself minutes later after racing from halfway, he could only shoot wide under pressure from Charlie Wassmer with Howe coming to narrow the angle. CD's side then had a real purple patch with just the agility of McCarthy keeping the home side at bay. Bobby Hughes took a quick throw to Bulley who turned and hit a first time shot that McCarthy pushed wide. At the resultant corner he was again in action when Wassmer headed Fayed's kick to the back post and Lovell shot first time only to see the Magpies keeper's fingertips touch the ball around the post.

Within seconds he was in action again, Curtis crossing to Lovell who could only stare as McCarthy pushed his header wide of the post. Fayed again found Wassmer with the resultant corner and this time McCarthy was beaten but a defender was well placed to head off the line.

Having been denied so many times in quick succession, it was a good job that Howe stayed alert at the other end as four minutes later Ngody again ran at the defence, this time making it into the area and unleashing a shot that Howe could only parry upwards but he was then grateful for the high bounce and he gathered under pressure from three waiting Magpies.

The breakthrough that the home side needed finally came on 67 minutes. A free-kick was awarded on the edge of the Magpies area, Fayed stepped up this time and beat the wall, McCarthy got his fingers to it and the ball struck the bar before bouncing back up into the net. Just three minutes was all we had to wait for the second, Lovell being tripped in the area as he attempted to round the last defender. Mohammed Dikuiza stepped up and sent McCarthy the wrong way from the spot.

Just seven minutes later Lovell had a great chance to put the result beyond doubt. Having been sent away by a long ball from the back, the striker lost the ball only to be surprisingly gifted it back by a weak back pass, sadly his shot was stopped by a full length McCarthy dive.

Just a minute later the visitors got themselves back into the game when Aaron Morgan fed the ball inside to Ngody, his shot on the turn beating Howe into the top corner of the net. This was to be the last real chance of the game though and Hayes & Yeading saw out the remaining 12 minutes to take the title with two games still to play.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Website United Man of the Match: Charlie Wassmer.

Hayes & Yeading United Maidenhead United
1 Aaron Howe   1 Paul McCarthy  
2 Jack Pattison   2 Oscar Lubwaria  
3 Bobby Hughes   3 Dominic Rhone  
4 Mohammed Dikuiza   4 Carl Paul  
5 Jamie Lindsay   5 Steve Badu Captain
6 Charlie Wassmer   6 Jean-Black Ngody  
7 Ray Curtis Captain 7 Jerome Paul  
8 Malakai Bulley   8 Fred Okyere  
9 Henry Attu   9 Richard Shittu  
10 Jake Lovell   10 Aaron Morgan  
11 Ollie Fayed   11 Yaniek Monrose  
12 Scott Orphanou for 9 (81) 12 Simon St Aimie for 7 (71)
14 Charles Adeyemi   14 Jermaine Findlator for 11 (75)
15 Ross Crawford   15 Karol Derewenko for 4 (71)
16 Andre Costa   16 Simon Bediako  
17 Darron Wilkinson   17 Nick Bovingdon  
Fayed (67), Dikuiza (70 pen).
Ngody (78).