Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Harefield United 2
Hayes & Yeading United
(After Extra Time)

Colin Davis' Hayes & Yeading United reserve side pulled back a two goal deficit to force extra time before progressing to the quarter finals of the Middlesex Premier Cup at Harefield's freezing Preston Park on Tuesday evening.

The first chance of the game fell to Shane Wyllie for Hayes & Yeading who ran onto a long Delroy Preddie clearance but his shot towards the far corner was deflected wide of the target. Minutes later the home Hares found themselves taking the lead, a long throughball to the impressive Denver Morris saw the wide man lift the ball perfectly over the advancing Preddie before bouncing into the net.

Scott Orphanou then saw a shot flash across the face of goal from the right side before the home side worked a chance after good build up work from Nathan Mottley and Morris created a chance for Joe Newman who forced a fine tip over from Preddie. The Hares continued to press for a second, Morris was inches wide firing across goal and Newman should have hit the target with a free header from a cross by former Hayes FEDO striker Andrew Harewood.

On the half hour mark Orphanou appeared to over hit a free-kick but the ball was heading goalwards but for the quick reactions of Hares keeper Andrew Hagger who tipped the ball over. Minutes later the home side struck again courtesy of an unusual error by the experienced Preddie who picked up the ball outside his area. Luke Willis stepped up to the free kick and smashed it past the wall into the far corner of Preddie's net.

Having gone two adrift, Hayes & Yeading started on the comeback trail in the final five minutes of the half. Orphanou sent in a looping cross to the far post but Andre Costa could only head into Hagger's arms but the goal was not long coming. Orphanou took a corner on the right, Aga Briandt got in a header that was helped onto the crossbar by former Wycombe youngster Shane Wyllie and the ball appeared to go over the line after striking Hagger on the way down.

On the stroke of half time it could have been scores even, Costa beat two for pace down the left flank before crossing to Dan Mehmet but his near post effort was wide of the target.

More than three quarters of the 90 minutes had passed before another noteworthy chance was created. Costa again used his exceptional pace on the left side, moved into the area and past the dive of keeper Hagger, unfortunately on the frosty surface the ball just ran away and despite a cheeky back-heel Hagger was able to dive on the loose ball.

Ten minutes later the scores were tied and again it was Costa's pace that did for the Hares defence. The winger ran from all of 40 yards out leaving all in his wake before sliding the ball past Hagger's desperate dive.

With the supporters of both sides hoping for a winner to avoid their freezing toes having to stand through extra time, it was the Hares who really should have wrapped up the game in the 90th minute. Morris crossed to Willis at the far side of the area, he slid the ball into the run of Keiren Peters who managed to put the ball wide from four yards out. Both keepers still had a save to make in stoppage time as firstly Preddie denied Harewood and then seconds before the whistle Mehmet was denied by Hagger.

So extra time it was and it took just six minutes for Hayes & Yeading to take the lead for the first time in the match. Ollie Fayed played the ball left to Costa, he again raced away to the byeline before cutting the ball back to substitute Josh Andrew who fired home from 15 yards giving Hagger no chance.

Morris was denied an equaliser for the Hares when Leon Solomon made a last ditch interception to deflect his shot wide and in stoppage time Mo Dikuiza crossed to Costa who controlled the ball but could not keep his final shot down.

Five minutes into the second period of extra time came a fourth Hayes & Yeading goal. Skipper Ray Curtis threaded the ball to Mehmet who neatly turned his older brother Tony, a Harefield substitute, before rounding Hagger and placing the ball just inside the Harefield upright to seal a quarter final trip to Rayners Lane in early January 2009.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Website United Man of the Match: Jamie Lindsay.
Harefield United Hayes & Yeading United
1 Andrew Hagger   1 Delroy Preddie  
2 Jack Clarke   2 Ray Curtis Captain
3 Leon Smart   3 Leon Solomon  
4 James Walters   4 Mohammed Dikuiza  
5 Lorenzo Scelci   5 Aga Briandt  
6 Luke Willis   6 Jamie Lindsay  
7 Andrew Harewood   7 Scott Orphanou  
8 Joe Newman Captain 8 Dan Mehmet  
9 Nathan Mottley   9 Shane Wyllie  
10 Keiren Peters   10 Ollie Fayed  
11 Denver Morris   11 Andre Costa  
12 Tony Mehmet for 2 (78) 12 Charlie Wassmer for 9 (71)
14 Damian Reading   14 Josh Andrew for 7 (90)
15 Jordan Haynes for 9 (99) 15 -  
16 Jordan Willis   16 Will Joseph for 10 (110)
17 Jack Buckle for 8 (68) 17 -  
Morris (12), Willis (36).

Wyllie (43), Costa (79),
Andrew (96), Mehmet (110).