Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Team Bath 4
Hayes & Yeading United
Half-Time: 2-0 Referee: Mr J Amey Attendance: 161

Hayes & Yeading United continued their point-less start to the season as the once more re-arranged defence were run ragged at times by former Hayes FC reserve teamer Josh Llewellyn and his Team Bath teammates.

On a wet slopping pitch the game took a while to get going but with just ten minutes played the home side were ahead. Takume Ake raced into the United area and rounded the unprotected Delroy Preddie only to be denied by the agility of Preddie who recovered to push his effort wide of the goal. Sadly his efforts were in vain, a deep corner was nodded back across the face of goal by skipper Gary Warren and fellow centre-back Dean Smith stooped to net.

Midway through the half United hands on the terraces were raised as a long searching ball was brought down by Scott Fitzgerald who fired across keeper Jake Meredith towards the bottom corner only for an excellent fingertip save to deny him his first United goal. Sadly five minutes later the ball was in the United net once more, again from a set piece. A harshly awarded free-kick on the right was played into the centre where Warren outjumped Tom Cadmore to beat Preddie from close range.

As the half reached its final ten minutes Will Hendry sprayed the ball wide to Kieran Knight who found partner Fitzgerald but Meredith was equal to his shot. Five minutes of the half remained when Team Bath missed an open goal that would have given them a three goal advantage. A long punt from the back to the pacey Llewellyn saw him fire goalwards, Preddie did an excellent job in parrying the drive and the loose ball fell to Ake who managed to fire over the vacant net.

For the second consecutive game Garry Haylock made a half time change that saw Danny Allen-Page move to the centre of the defence with young Esmond James coming on down the right flank. This seemed to fire up the visitors but although having much possession nothing of note was created. Ten minutes into the half something was created, but it was the home side that should again have scored. Another in a succession of punts up to the speedy front runners saw Nevin Saroya pull his man back in the box and despite Preddie blocking at the strikers feet and getting injured in the process a spot kick was awarded. Llewellyn stepped up against a hobbling Preddie but the stopper guessed right and saved at the foot of the post.

United's attack finally got a jolt into life on 63 minutes when Josh Scott was introduced in place of Hendry. In fact his first touch was almost golden, a corner from the right was headed to the edge of the area and Scott hit a sweet volley that was superbly blocked on the line by Warren. United continued to press with some vigour and after Fitzgerald had a close range shot saved Scott fired across the six yard box but no foot got the vital touch.

Nine minutes remained when United got themselves back in the game, Cadmore fired a free-kick across the area to an arriving James who smartly volleyed the ball into the six yard box to be met by the on-coming Marwa. Annoyingly for those who had made the long midweek trip the game remained in the balance for just three minutes as a Marc Canham cross was deflected in the air only to be met by Mike Perrott who firmly headed the ball past Preddie at the far post.

Marwa saw a dipping volley sail inches over the bar and Knight headed over from close in before Team Bath hit a fourth in stoppage time. Yet another long punt upfield saw Saroya beaten for pace by Matt Cooper who duly squared the ball to the unmarked Steve Abbott who coolly beat Preddie to give his side a deserved win, albeit by a flattering margin.

Report by Kevin Watts. Photos by Ray Peploe.

Website United Man of the Match: Ram Marwa.

Team Bath Hayes & Yeading United
1 Jake Meredith   1 Delroy Preddie  
2 Matt Lock   2 Danny Allen-Page  
3 Andy Caton   3 Mohammed Dikuiza  
4 Dean Smith   4 Tom Cadmore  
5 Gary Warren Captain 5 Nevin Saroya Captain
6 Sami El-Abd   6 Ram Marwa  
7 Mike Perrott   7 Will Hendry  
8 Marc Canham   8 Steven Gregory  
9 Josh Llewellyn   9 Scott Fitzgerald  
10 Steve Abbott   10 Kieran Knight  
11 Takumi Ake   11 James Mulley  
12 Matt Cooper for 9 (72) 12 Josh Scott for 7 (63)
14 Joe Arnold   14 Staforde Palmer for 9 (78)
15 Ben Thomson   15 Esmond James for 3 (46)
16 Rob Hobbs   16 Bobby Hughes  
21 Owen Dunn   21 Aaron Howe  
Smith (10), Warren (27),
Perrott (84), Abbott (90+2).
Marwa (81).