Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 5
Staines Town
Half-Time: 3-1 Referee: Mr T Power Attendance: 348

Hayes & Yeading United needed a reply and extra time to progress to the next round of the FA Cup at the expense of a very good Staines Town side.

The visitors were to make a good start to this FA Cup replay at Church Road and with just six minutes played Davis Haule worked space for himself on the edge of the United area but his shot was well gathered by Aaron Howe. As the Swans pressure continued, James Mulley was well positioned to head off his own goal line as Marc Charles-Smith met a corner sweetly on the volley at the far post. This was closely followed by a Jake Newton shot that span off the block of Tom Cadmore and fell nicely to Dean Thomas but his shot on the turn was wide of the target.

United then hit the visitors where it hurts on 16 minutes. A free-kick needlessly conceded on the corner of the Swans area was drilled past the wall and into the far corner of the net before keeper Louis Wells could blink. The lead however was short lived as just four minutes later the Swans were level as Richard Butler found space outside the area to set up and execute a perfect shot inside Howe's post.

Before the half hour mark United were back on top, a Steven Gregory corner was headed goalbound by Josh Scott and helped over the line by centre-back Matt Ruby for his first goal for the club. The visitors started to push for a second equaliser straight away and Thomas was unlucky to see a drive go wide off of one of his teammates and Howe had to dive full stretch to push away a shot from 18 yards from the same man just minutes later.

With minutes remaining to the break Hendry fired home his second. Having just had a volley palmed out by Wells, the United man was well placed at the edge of the area to crash home a poorly cleared corner.

I am not sure what was said at the break in either dressing room but it was the visitors that came out with all guns blazing. Howe was called into action early when a misplaced Newton cross was touched onto the bar by the United keeper before being cleared and minutes later Butler turned Ruby only to see his shot blocked by a sliding intervention from skipper Cadmore.

Elliott Onochie then outpaced Ruby but his effort was saved by Howe before Charles-Smith fired inches wide from 18 yards. In the 64th minute the Swans went even closer when Butler received the ball at the base of the post and turned but fired the ball all the way along the goal line without a touch.

Just three minutes later though an uncharacteristic Howe error gifted Onochie a goal. A long throughball saw the United keeper quickly out of his area only to be caught in possession by the speedy Swans striker who then rolled the ball into the vacant net to bring his side right back into the game.

Just two minutes later it was almost 3-3 as Onochie crossed from the right to Clement James at the far post but although his weak shot beat Howe, Ruby slid in to play the ball off the line with barely an inch to spare. The leveller however was only minutes away, albeit somewhat controversial as Butler appeared to help to ball on with his hand before firing past Howe.

With the final 17 minutes being played out with little incident at either end, it was extra time.

This time it was United who started better, Danny Allen-Page raced on to a Hendry pass and turned his defender but could not find the target with his shot. The 99th minute saw an exchange between substitute Kieran Knight and Josh Scott with the latter sliding the ball across for Knight to beat Wells from close range.

Just a couple of minutes later it was almost level again as Swans substitute Jon McDonald got his head to a Dave Sargent free-kick but the ball glanced wide off the outside of the upright.

The second period of extra time started very much like the second half with the visitors throwing everything at the United defence. Clement James crossed to the far post where Onochie got his head to the ball just feet from goal drawing a superb block from Howe and with just five minutes to go a corner caused havoc in the area before falling to Onochie 6 yards from goal but he shot wide.

With just three minutes to play the Swans thought they were level when another corner was headed home only for referee Power to blow for an obvious push on Howe as the ball was headed home. The final minute of the extra period saw another debut goal for United, this time for Esmond James who raced on to a perfect Saroya pass and confidently beat Wells to seal a trip to Kingstonian in the next round.

Report by Kevin Watts.
Photos by Ray Peploe.

Match Highlights available at www.fcvideo.co.uk

Website United Man of the Match: Will Hendry.

Hayes & Yeading United Staines Town
1 Aaron Howe   1 Louis Wells  
2 Danny Allen-Page   2 Jake Newton  
3 Neil Martin   3 Dave Sargent  
4 Tom Cadmore Captain 4 Danny Gordon Captain
5 Matt Ruby   6 Lee Kersey  
6 Ram Marwa   8 Davis Haule  
7 James Mulley   9 Richard Butler  
8 Steven Gregory   10 Elliot Onochie  
9 Scott Fitzgerald   16 Dean Thomas  
10 Will Hendry   18 Darti Brown  
11 Josh Scott   20 Marc Charles-Smith  
  Subs:     Subs:  
12 Nevin Saroya for 8 (100) 7 Howard Newton  
14 Kieran Knight for 9 (65) 12 Dean Fenton for 20 (61)
15 Peter Collins   15 Jon McDonald for 16 (88)
16 Esmond James for 7 (80) 19 Lewis Cook  
17 Steve Perkins   22 Clement James for 18 (46)
18 Staforde Palmer   23 Craig Maskell  
21 Delroy Preddie   17 James Courtnage  
Hendry (16, 43), Ruby (28),
Knight (99), James (119).
Butler (20, 73), Onochie (67).