Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Kingstonian 1
Hayes & Yeading United
Half-Time: 0-0 Referee: Mr G Muge Attendance: 578

Hayes & Yeading United moved into the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup for the second time with a hard fought victory at Kingstonian this afternoon.

The home side, currently top of Ryman Division 1 South, started very well and United needed a goal line Neil Martin clearance after just two minutes when Bobby Traynor fired across goal towards the far corner only for the full back to be perfectly placed. Within seconds though the ball was back in the United area where defender Adam Thompson fired across the face of the United goal and out for a throw on the far side.

Still inside the first ten minutes, a Tommy Williams free-kick was met by Carl Wilson-Dennis at close range only for the striker to be denied by Delroy Preddie and when the striker played the loose ball goalwards Martin was again well positioned to clear United's lines. It took 15 minutes for United to fire a goalbound shot in anger, Josh Scott slipping the ball inside to Danny Allen-Page but his shot was caught at the second attempt by K's skipper Luke Garrard.

Five minutes later United stayed level courtesy of fine reflexes from Preddie, Williams' corner kick was headed skywards by Max Hustwick before being met by Traynor whose header changed direction off Saroya before being clawed out by the United keeper. United did move quickly after this and Will Hendry played the ball neatly into the path of Steven Gregory who saw his 25 yard drive tipped over by Garrard.

Nine minutes remained in the half when the home side should have taken the lead. A long ball upfield was flicked on to Wilson-Dennis who rounded Preddie but then with the goal gaping fired high and wide of the target much to United's relief.

Garry Haylock chose to replace the ineffective Scott Fitzgerald with Kieran Knight at half time and it took United just 57 seconds to take the lead. A long Preddie kick was flicked on by Kieran Knight and then Ram Marwa to Hendry who calmly steadied himself before firing past Garrard from 12 yards out (pictured left). Minutes later Scott was set up by Hendry but fired wide when well placed.

Then in the 52nd minute Dean Lodge broke into the United area and a tussle with Martin saw the winger go to ground and referee Muge duly awarded the home side a penalty. Traynor stepped up and hammered the ball into the roof of the United net to being the tie level once more.

Play then began to swing from end to end, Preddie held on to a Traynor header while at the other end Scott twice went close without forcing a save from Garrard. A squaring up of the benches saw Garry Haylock sent to the stands by Mr Muge and this did appear to take some momentum out of the game until ten minutes from time when James Mulley raced into the Kingstonian area only to be tripped by NJ Lampton giving Mr Muge no choice but to award a second spot kick of the match. Scott stepped up and easily netted, sending Garrard the wrong way.

Three minutes later the home side were almost level when a quick free-kick found Lodge who ran at Preddie but he was denied by a superb one handed save from the recalled United keeper. Esmond James then replaced Scott and should have earned United another penalty just minutes after coming on, Garrard fumbled the ball on the byeline and as the United man nipped in Garrard appeared to take away his footing (left) but the unsighted referee looked to his assistant who failed to raise a flag. The ball was again on the spot just a minute later though, Mulley again raced into the area and was again sent tumbling, this time by Wayne Finnie. With Scott off the field Hendry stepped up and just as coolly sent Garrard the wrong way.

United could have scored two more in the dying moments, Kieran Knight was just too high with a lob having seen Garrard off his line and then in the last minute Nevin Saroya made a saving tackle on the edge of the United area and played the ball to Hendry, he in turn sent Knight through on goal but Garrard saved his shot with his legs.

Report by Kevin Watts. Photos by Ray Peploe.

Match Highlights available at www.fcvideo.co.uk

Website United Man of the Match: Will Hendry.

Kingstonian Hayes & Yeading United
1 Luke Garrard Captain 1 Delroy Preddie  
2 Jon Coke   2 Danny Allen-Page  
3 Nick Rundell   3 Neil Martin  
4 Adam Thompson   4 Nevin Saroya Captain
5 Max Hustwick   5 Matt Ruby  
6 N J Lampton   6 Ram Marwa  
7 Jamie Beer   7 James Mulley  
8 Tommy Williams   8 Steven Gregory  
9 Bobby Traynor   9 Scott Fitzgerald  
10 Carl Wilson-Dennis   10 Will Hendry  
11 Dean Lodge   11 Josh Scott  
  Subs:     Subs:  
12 Jason Turley   12 Kieran Knight for 9 (46)
13 Luke Naughton   14 Steve Perkins for 8 (47)
14 Jean-Serge Musungu   15 Esmond James for 11 (82)
15 Wayne Finnie for 3 (26) 16 Peter Collins  
16 Phil Williams for 7 (84) 17 Tom Cadmore  
17 Jon Neal for 6 (84) 18 Leon Solomon  
19 Julien Thompson   21 Aaron Howe  
Traynor (52 pen).
Hendry (46, 88 pen), Scott (80 pen).