Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

AFC Telford United 4
Hayes & Yeading United
Half-Time: 2-0 Referee: Mr D Bond Attendance: 986

A dominant display from AFC Telford United brought to an end Hayes & Yeading United’s run in the FA Trophy this season, in front of 986 fans at their hugely impressive New Buck’s Head stadium.

From the beginning, it looked like being a tough night for the visitors as the home side were quick to get into their stride. In the sixth minute, Andy Brown latched onto Lee Moore’s throughball to go one on one with Aaron Howe only to skew his shot wide of the far post.

Two minutes later, he made amends. Lee Vaughan’s long ball from defence was contended for by Brown and Peter Collins and the forward got the run of the ball before firing a low unstoppable shot into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Things got worse for United just four minutes later as the forward doubled his own and his team’s tally. Vaughan’s square pass caused confusion between Collins and Gary MacDonald and Brown was able to volley the loose ball beyond Howe and into the net.

Hayes & Yeading United settled after this initial shock and enjoyed a fair amount of possession but were unable to get numbers forward to support lone striker Kieran Knight very often. It was a set piece which provided a moment of inspiration on 20 minutes when MacDonald played a quick free kick to Will Hendry and although his first speculative shot was blocked by Jimmy Turner on its way to goal, he unleashed a fierce volley which crashed against the crossbar on its way over.

The game went into quite a lull until the second halfalthoguh AFC Telford were the ones looking most likely to get the next goal, with Brown just missing out on his hat-trick by sliding his shot from Matt Ruby’s headed clearance just wide. In stoppage time, Liam Blackman was denied by Aaron Howe’s brave double saving blocks after Moore had got in behind Danny Allen-Page and cut the ball back from the left hand goal line.

United manager Garry Haylock changed the team’s shape in the second half, replacing Steve Perkins with Josh Scott who joined Knight up front and United started the second half in a lively manner. However, this promising start was cruelly cut short in the 49th minute when Meredith crossed for an unmarked Carl Rodgers who nevertheless spectacularly finished on the half villey into the roof of the net.

This seemed to have a lasting blow on the visitors’ comeback plans and seemed like an early signal to the end of the game. Full back Meredith tried to add some gloss onto the scoreline with a long shot which Howe smothered, before another rare Hayes & Yeading attack led to their first corner of the night in the 62 nd minute. Hendry took this and Scott laid the ball off to Callum Botham only for the midfielder to see his shot unfortunately cannon into team mate Knight and spin wide.

AFC Telford completed the scoring in the 70th minute when Danny Carey-Bertram raced onto substitute Terry Fearns’s clever short pass and fired the ball past the advancing Howe.

And the visitors were grateful to keeper Howe that The Bucks couldn’t increase their victory margin in the final twenty minutes. Jon Adams fed Rodgers the ball and his deflected shot was gathered in by Howe. Then Howe tipped Adams’s shot wide after Dean Williams had got to the bye line through Botham’s and MacDonald’s challenges. Howe again was called into action late on to tip Fearn’s looping header over and towards stoppage time, he parried Carey-Bertram’s shot after the striker again raced through on goal.

Report by Nick Bell.

Match Highlights available at www.vimeo.com

Website United Man of the Match: Aaron Howe.

AFC Telford United Hayes & Yeading United
1 Ryan Young   1 Aaron Howe  
2 Lee Vaughan   2 Danny Allen-Page  
3 James Meredith   3 Gary MacDonald  
4 Gavin Cowan Captain 4 Peter Collins  
5 Jimmy Turner   5 Matt Ruby  
6 Liam Blackman   6 Ram Marwa  
7 Carl Rodgers   7 Steve Perkins  
8 Jamie Vermiglio   8 James Mulley  
9 Danny Carey-Bertram   9 Kieran Knight  
10 Andy Brown   10 Will Hendry Captain
11 Lee Moore   11 Calum Botham  
  Subs:     Subs:  
12 Terry Fearns for 10 (54) 12 Josh Scott for 7 (46)
14 Jon Adams for 2 (58) 14 Esmond James for 2 (70)
15 Dean Williams for 8 (70) 15 Steven Gregory for 11 (78)
16 Justin Worthington   16 Jake Lovell  
17 Scott Embrey   21 Delroy Preddie  
Brown (8, 12), Rodgers (49), Carey-Bertram (70).