Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

AFC Wimbledon 2
Hayes & Yeading United
Half-Time: 2-0 Referee: Mr S Knapp Attendance: 2,621

AFC Wimbledon extended their lead at the top of the Blue Square South with a 2-0 victory over Hayes & Yeading United at Kingsmeadow on Tuesday evening.

The match saw the return from injury of Gary MacDonald and Scott Fitzgerald to the United starting line up but Will Hendry missed out through suspension and Matt Ruby was missing through injury.

Chances in an even first half were at a premium but AFC Wimbledon nevertheless went in at half time two goals ahead thanks to the league’s leading scorer Jon Main. The game sprang to life in the 12th minute when Elliot Godfrey’s corner was flicked on and James Mulley had to clear off the line. His long clearance fell to Fitzgerald and he did well to take on the home defence who backed off enough to allow him a shot which fizzed just wide of the foot of James Pullen’s post.

Two minutes later, AFC Wimbledon were gifted an opening goal. Tom Cadmore tackled Main and Aaron Howe looked to have collected the loose ball only for him to fumble it back into Main’s path who touched the ball past him before rolling it into the empty net.

Hayes & Yeading United put this early set back behind them and as the half wore on, enjoyed more possession. However, neither side had any clear cut chances until three minutes before half time when a Sam Hatton corner caused confusion in the six yard box and Steve Perkins handled the ball. Main put the ball beyond Howe’s dive into the bottom right corner of the goal.

AFC Wimbledon looked like adding to their lead after the break when Danny Kedwell received the ball after quite a scramble just outside the penalty area, but his shot was met with a fine block by Howe. Hatton then crossed for Kedwell whose glancing header just missed Godfrey and the far post on its way wide of goal.

Midway through the second half, Fitzgerald fell awkwardly in a challenge and looked to have damaged the shoulder he had just come back from injuring, but Ewen Fairgrieve performed wonders on the touchline for him to be able to return to action. He was taken off as a precaution six minutes later for Omari Coleman.

Just as in the first half, Hayes & Yeading United gradually improved as time wore on and started to create half chances. A MacDonald free kick close to the area was headed over by Perkins and from the other side, a James Mulley free kick was touched to Josh Scott who hit a ferocious shot into a crowded box which was blocked by Hatton.

United’s best chance of the game came when Scott rode two challenges before sliding the ball to Coleman. He held off Jason Goodliffe before firing towards goal only for Pullen to charge it down.

In the 82nd minute, Main just missed out on his hat-trick when he headed Michael Haswell’s cross inches wide, but AFC Wimbledon settled for the two goal advantage and were able to comfortably see out the rest of the time.

Report by Nick Bell. Photos by Ray Peploe.

Match Highlights available at www.fcvideo.co.uk

Website United Man of the Match: Gary MacDonald.

AFC Wimbledon Hayes & Yeading United
1 James Pullen   1 Aaron Howe  
2 Andy Sambrook   2 Danny Allen-Page  
3 Chris Hussey   3 Gary MacDonald  
4 Jake Leberl   4 Tom Cadmore Captain
5 Ben Judge   5 Steve Perkins  
6 Jason Goodliffe Captain 6 Ram Marwa  
7 Sam Hatton   7 James Mulley  
8 Tom Davis   8 Steven Gregory  
9 Danny Kedwell   9 Scott Fitzgerald  
10 Jon Main   10 Staforde Palmer  
11 Elliott Godfrey   11 Josh Scott  
12 Michael Haswell for 2 (29) 12 Kieran Knight for 11 (89)
13 Andy Little   14 Esmond James for 3 (76)
14 Alan Inns   15 Peter Collins  
15 Anthony Finn for 10 (84) 16 Omari Coleman for 9 (61)
16 Dean Mason   21 Delroy Preddie  
Main (14, 42 pen).