Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Harefield United 2
Hayes & Yeading United
(after extra time)

United were knocked out of a cup in extra time for the second time this season, on this occasion the Middlesex County Cup at the hands of a very well organised Harefield United side.

Early exchanges were pretty even as the Hares Jordan Haynes saw a driven cross deflected across the face of his own goal by Aga Brianidt and Uniteds top scorer Esmond James forced a diving save from home keeper Billy Sharp after he unleashed a shot from the corner of the area. Ollie Fayed then met a Ray Curtis cross but Sharp held his header and at the other end a 25 yard drive from Jake Morton was inches wide of the upright.

The final chance of the half was probably the best, Dominic McAuley playing a superb throughball to Fayed who with just Sharp to beat screwed his shot well wide of the target.

The second period saw more scoring opportunities, with United coming the closest to avoiding extra time. McAuley beat two defenders but fired wide and a dipping drive from substitute Mohammed Bashley was just over Sharp's crossbar for United before Matt Faley was called into action in the United goal to keep out a drive from the edge of the area from Patrick Lawrence.

A neat back flick from Fayed then set up Dan Mehmet but his effort was wide of the target as was Joe Newman at the other end although his volley was deflected wide off a United defender. The resultant corner flashing across the face of goal much to Faley's relief.

Seven minutes from time it looked as if United had the vital breakthrough, Nathan Webb played James through against Sharp, the striker played the ball past the keepers dive only to see the ball hit the inside of the post, go straight along the goalline, strike the other post and come back into play where a relieved Sharp gathered.

Minutes later it could have been the Hares who nicked it at the death, Jack Stanton played Lawrence in against Faley, the stopper did well to block the initial shot although the ball cannoned back against the striker and dropped just wide of the far post. Stoppage time saw Uniteds Ashley Barnes break down the right side, his cross fell to Mehmet whose control was excellent as he shot for the bottom corner with Sharp saving at the foot of his post.

Harefield opened the extra half hour in perfect fashion, taking the lead after just four minutes. Haynes picked up the ball on the left and crossed to Richmond Agyeman who rose highest to head past Faley into the corner of the United net. Almost immediately skipper Curtis saw a shot from 25 yards skim just over the bar and Faley then did well to push away another Agyeman effort.

The final minute of the first period saw the stuffing knocked out of the United side when a free-kick was curled to tha far post and Faley failed to react as Lawrence dived in to head between keeper and post and virtually seal his sides progress.

Two chances came in the second period of extra time, both to United, Webb was inches over with a 20 yard chip and a McAuley shot from the edge of the area was superbly pushed away by Sharp.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Line-up: Matthew Faley, Ray Curtis, Nathan Webb, Jamie Lindsay, Aga Brianidt (James Walters), Abdula Nsubuga (Mohammed Bashley), Ashley Barnes (Festus Mansaray), Daniel Mehmet, Esmond James, Ollie Fayed, Dominic McAuley.
Agyeman (94), Lawrence (105).
Mehmet (11), James (41),