Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Edgware Town 2
Hayes & Yeading United 0

Hayes & Yeading United succumbed to only their second league defeat of the season amidst controversial circumstances at the White Lion Ground

The game started sedately enough with neither side able to gain control over the game on a bumpy pitch and with a swirling wind. Edgware, a physically imposing side, caused some danger at set pieces but last ditch headers from Ollie Fayed and Aga Brianidt kept them at bay.

Hayes & Yeading found chances at a premium. Ashley Barnes went closest on 26 minutes when the Edgware goalkeeper came charging out of his goal to block Esmond James’ path and Barnes sent a 30 yard lob just over the bar.

Fitzpatrick drilled a shot just wide for the home side thanks to a deflection from Jamie Lindsay but neither side seemed to pose much threat until the 43rd minute when Edgware forced a succession of corners. Eventually they opened the scoring when an out swinging corner appeared to be drifting too far away from goal but a long shot was turned past Matthew Faley by an unmarked Furman at the far post.

The second half retained the same pattern as both sides struggled with the conditions although Edgware’s long ball tactics allowed them to take more advantage territorially.

Faley missed a punch from an in swinging corner which led to quite a scramble at the far post but the ball eventually dribbled wide. Then from another corner, a ferocious goalbound shot was brilliantly blocked by Nathan Webb on the line.

James and Alex Harris combined well with a one two to set the latter through on goal but the Edgware defence recovered to block his shot at goal.

But on 79 minutes, Edgware doubled their advantage. United had a corner that was cleared and the home forward turned Brianidt on the left flank. He rode a challenge from Webb before finding an onrushing Rea at the far post who had a simple low finish.

It was a disappointing night for United who didn’t produce a shot on target, and a late Dominic McAuley free kick from a decent position which sailed well over just served to frustrate even more.

But despite Edgware’s deserved victory, the evening ended on a sour and controversial note. Ollie Fayed blocked a quick Edgware free kick and picked up a booking, the eighth yellow card that the referee had shown. Play restarted until the referee then blew to stop the game and refer to his notebook as he realised that it was the United midfielder’s second booking. He promptly waved a red card in the air at Daniel Mehmet who somewhat bemusedly walked off the pitch. Play was then halted again as Fayed took his leave and Mehmet was restored to the game. In the meantime a ninth yellow card of the game was produced but again it was unclear to which player.

Report by Nick Bell.

United Line-up: Matthew Faley, Ray Curtis (Hasib Saeed), Nathan Webb, Aga Brianidt, Jamie Lindsay, Ollie Fayed, Ashley Barnes (Dominic McAuley), Dan Mehmet, Alex Harris, Esmond James, Mohammed Bashley (Abdula Nsubuga).
Furman (43), Rea (79).
Mehmet (7), James (30), McAuley (73).