Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 4
Chesham United 2

United's under 18 side consolidated their lead in the Allied Counties Premier on Monday evening courtesy of a 4-2 victory over Chesham United at Church Road.

With two good passing sides on display it was no surprise that the game had goals, thankfully for United the difference was the quality of our forward movement coupled with Esmond James' finishing which was of the top order, mostly!

The game took a while for either keeper to be troubled and on 16 minutes what appeared to be a perfectly good defensive tackle by a Chesham defender saw referee Mr Pimm point to the spot as all gazed at him in amazement. The visitors will however feel that justice was served as keeper James Weatherill guessed correctly and kept out Dominic McAuley's spot kick.

Just four minutes later it was the home sides turn to breathe a sigh of relief as Stuart Bryant fed the ball into the path of Phil Sole and the strikers shot despite beating Matt Faley's dive went an inch wide of the far post. Two minutes further into the fray and Hayes & Yeading took the lead, Dan Mehmet received a quick throw on the left and whipped in a cross that James took first time and rifled into the top corner of the net.

The home side, buoyed by the goal, were taking command of the chances. Alex Harris intercepted a weak pass at the back but Weatherill saved his effort and then in what was to be the first of many Ashley Barnes sorties down the right flank his centre was fired over by James.

The second period started at quite a pace and less than a minute had passed when a loose ball just outside the H&Y area fell to Chesham skipper James Donnelly but his effort swung just wide of the upright. H&Y replied almost immediately as Barnes raced to the bye-line and cut a perfect cross over the covering defender that James rose to power past Weatherill to double the lead.

Ten minutes into half a poor clearance attempt by Faley saw his mis-kick on the edge of the area fall to Sole who was only denied a roll home by an excellent Aga Brianidt tackle that took the ball away from goal. Chesham continued to fight for a way back into the game, Bryant fired over from distance before they pulled one back as Ben Lloyd arrived at the far post to tuck home after the ball had been fired across the box.

The two goal advantage was restored just two minutes later, McAuley sent Barnes away on the right, he cut into the area leaving his marker behind before looking up and rolling the ball to Mehmet who fired home from twelve yards out. Barnes himself then fired wide when well placed before Harris surged forwards and cut the ball back to James who bundled his hat-trick goal past Weatherill.

Five minutes from time Chesham scored what was to only be a consolation but was indeed reward for the hard work of striker Phil Sole. A back pass to Faley saw the stopper delay too long before striking the ball and Sole managed to charge down his kick and roll the ball into the vacant net.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Line-up: Matthew Faley, Dominic McAuley, Nathan Webb, Jamie Lindsay, Aga Brianidt, Ollie Fayed (Abdula Nsubuga), Ashley Barnes, Dan Mehmet, Alex Harris, Esmond James (Jake Lovell), Mohammed Bashley. Sub not used: Hasib Saeed.
James (22, 47, 76), Mehmet (70).
Lloyd (68), Sole (85).