Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 9
Aylesbury Vale 1

Hayes & Yeading United combined their 100% league record to date with the perfect start to the cup competitions after thumping Aylesbury Vale 9-1 in the 1st round of the League Cup on Monday evening.

From the kick off United dominated their opponents and had the game well in their grasp after just 20 minutes, thanks largely to an outstanding hat trick from Esmond James.

It took the home side just three minutes to open Aylesbury’s defence up after a bright start, and good ball possession allowed James to slide a cross goal shot just yards past the post.

Five minutes later United made their early dominance count as the exciting winger Michael Bryan beat the defending full back with a skilful piece of play and played the ball across the six yard box for Hasib Saeed to open the scoring with an easy tap in at the far post.

The visitors had the chance to reply just three minutes later when an unnecessary free kick was given away on the edge of the box, but the effort was struck tamely into the United wall.

The next period of play was quiet simply the Esmond James show as he put the game out of reach with three goals in just nine minutes. He created his first out of nothing by beating the defender to a high ball then thumping it into the top left corner from the edge of the box on 13 minutes.

Two minutes later he almost doubled his tally, showing good body strength to ride three challenges only to have his effort deflected for a corner.

A quick break from the midfield, and another cross struck low and hard across the Aylesbury six yard box, provided another tap in, for James this time, on 19 minutes. 3-0.

The United keeper had to wait until the 20th minute before he was called into action, after an Aylesbury corner was meet by Dominic Saco but the header was too weak to worry Faley.

In the 22nd minute it was 4-0 as James once again beat his marker to the ball and saw his weak effort slide under the arms of the Aylesbury keeper Ben Gray and into the net.

James was full of confidence, and forced a decent save from Gray after showing good skill to work his way out of a tight situation in the box on 28 minutes.

A sweet strike just over the bar from Daniel Mehmet, was quickly followed up by a Saeed effort after Bryan’s through ball had the defence on the turn, but Gray was equal to it.

Mehmet again came close to scoring on 37 minutes after cutting inside but his effort was deflected out for a corner. United’s 5th goal came from the resulting corner as the long ball in was headed back across goal by skipper McAuley, then nodded in on the line by Abdula Nsubuga.

United’s 1st half dominance was summed up as Aylesbury’s only other noticeable effort came in the 41 st minute when a Jay Court free kick was struck high and wide from all of 40 yards.

Aylesbury Vale’s best period of play came directly after the turnaround when Akeel Khan, Michael Brown, and Joe Budd all had efforts on target in the opening minutes of the second half.

However, it was back to business for United in the 51st minute when Bryan and James played a cute one-two, and Bryan cut the ball back into the box for Saeed to score his second of the night with a well placed effort into the bottom corner.

James was denied a 4th goal when his 54th minute strike hit a team mate, after Bryan again showed pace and skill to beat the full back.

Faley was denied his clean sheet two minutes later as an apparent misplaced cross from Ricardo Monteiro left him red faced when it sailed over his head and into the back of the net.

Manager Simon East then brought on substitute Alex Harris who was straight into the game forcing Gray into a decent save on 59 minutes, and, should have scored four minutes later after James put it on a plate but his effort was just wide of the post.

United never looked like taking their foot of the peddle in the later stages, and they could have added another when McAuley’s fizzed in cross was just to high for Harris.

In the 76th minute, Bryan burst into the box with a determined run beating all four defenders, only to have a deserved goal taken away from him by the post, but, Harris was quickest to react and tap the ball into the empty net to make it 7-1.

Four minutes later and Bryan showed Aylesbury a clean pair of heels out on the wing, this time lashing the ball across the box and it was well met by Harris for a quickfire double.

The visitors were denied a 2nd goal in the 89th minute when Luke Seller found himself unmarked on the edge of the box, only to have his curling effort cruelly come back off the inside of the post.

United’s second substitute, Gareff Roque, also made an impact late on by crossing the ball in from the wing to Bryan, who this time had a goal taken away from him the by the outstretched boot of Dale Butler for a 90th minute own goal making it 9-1.

Report by Rob Stevens.
United Line-up: Matthew Faley, Dominic McAuley, Tajveer Seehra, James Walters, Aga Brianidt, Abdula Nsubuga, Michael Bryan, Daniel Mehmet, Esmond James (Alex Harris), Hasib Saeed, Mohammed Bashley (Garref Roque).
Saeed (8, 51), James (13, 16, 22),
Nsubuga (45), Harris (76, 80),
Butler (90 own goal).
Monteiro (56).