Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

North Greenford United 0
Hayes & Yeading United 1

Hayes & Yeading bounced back from their defeat at Edgware Town with a hard fought single goal victory at North Greenford United where the difference between the sides was a superb 25 yard drive from skipper Ray Curtis that left keeper Warrington grasping air.

The visitors were quick out of the blocks and went close on three occasions in the first five minutes. Firstly Dominic McAuley saw a cross bounce back off the top of the crossbar, Dan Mehmet reclaimed the ball and chip across to Esmond James who saw his header cleared off the line. This was closely followed by shots from range from McAuley and Curtis but both were just wide of the target.

The home side started to work forwards and a mix up in the H&Y area almost caused problems but a double block kept the ball away from Matt Faley's goal. Langton drove wide from distance for the home side before Ollie Fayed fed the ball to Jake Lovell but his shot on the turn was kept out by the trailing leg of Warrington.

What was to prove the winning strike came on 21 minutes, McAuley found Curtis roaming forwards in acres of space that the defender attacked with purpose before unleashing a strike that flew in off the inside of the near post with Warrington well beaten.

The home side almost immediately responded when Lukeman was given space to shoot but thankfully his effort was just too high to trouble Faley. As the half time break closed in Warrington was called upon to deny Lovell who saw his low drive well saved then in stoppage time James set up Mehmet who beat the home stopper only for his effort to be played off the line.

The second period took a long while to take off and apart from a James shot that Warrington held it was 70 minutes before anything notable happened and this almost saw the home side draw level. Duffy found himself just inside the area, his shot was well blocked by Aga Brianidt and when the ball fell to Fleming he fired towards the bottom corner only to be denied by an excellent Faley save as the keeper dived full length to touch the shot around his post.

Minutes later Fleming again caused a scare as his chipped cross was pushed away by Faley but fell to Josh Woods at the far post but his sliding effort went wide.

The home side did appear to run out of steam as the end approached and H&Y took a hold of the possession once more creating three chances in the final four minutes.
Abdula Nsubuga crossed to fayed but his header was off target before Ashley Barnes chipped over his marker on the turn to create a shooting chance for himself but could not trouble Warrington. With a minute of stoppage time H&Y were only denied a second by the woodwork, James beat two challenges before rolling it into the path of Hasib Saeed but his shot came back along the line off the inside of the post and Warrington gathered.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Line-up: Matthew Faley, Ray Curtis (Abdula Nsubuga), Nathan Webb, Jamie Lindsay, Aga Brianidt, Ollie Fayed, Ashley Barnes (Hasib Saeed), Dan Mehmet, Jake Lovell, Esmond James, Dominic McAuley (Mohammed Bashley).
Furman (43), Rea (79).
Curtis (21).