Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 1
Bracknell Town 0 aet

United's under 18s dominated proceedings but found it difficult to get past a stubborn defence and a fine display of goalkeeping from the visiting Robins, finally breaking the resistance in the first period of extra time.

The first half was far from a classic and it was not until the 19th minute that paper and pen were required when Ollie Fayed spread the ball wide to Dominic McAuley who cut inside his defender only to see his near post effort blocked away by Robins keeper Chris Grace who was also quick enough to keep out McAuley's follow up.

Chances in this half really were at a premium as United saw Esmond James fire wide after a surging run and minutes later Grace was again required as he tipped over McAuley's audacious chip from all of 35 yards. Alex Harris then cut the ball back from the byeline only for Dan Mehmet's effort to be deflected over before Ashley Barnes made for the same byeline and found Harris but his volley was inches wide.

United lost skipper Ray Curtis at the break which meant a reshuffle as McAuley took up the second of three different positions he was destined to play in the game. Still it was United on the front foot with the visitors barely getting near Matt Faley's goal, in no small part due to the dominance of centre back pairing Aga Brianidt and Jamie Lindsay. Harris drove inches over the bar before James met a Mehmet cross that Grace held at the post.

Grace again denied McAuley at the foot of the post before holding on to a stinging drive from Nathan Webb. Seven minutes from time saw the Robins almost score the ultimate in smash and grabs as Lindsay missed a throughball that fell to substitute Luke Walsh who coolly fed his fellow bench sitter mark Hayward who saw his shot blocked and gathered by Faley.

So an extra half hour it was, five minutes in Grace was again in action as he moved full stretch to tip a McAuley drive around the post. Just two minutes later the breakthrough finally came, a Mohammed Bashley corner was miscued by a defender, Barnes saw his effort blocked on the line before a combination of Harris and Grace saw the ball bundled over the line.

United continued to press for a second, Mehmet saw another shot pushed wide by the impressive Grace before James Walters went close with a header from Barnes' corner.

The start of the second period saw the visitors almost net an undeserved equaliser, Andy Brint's near post cross from the right was dropped by Faley who thankfully was quick enough to dive and punch the ball away as Adam Kennedy stooped to head home.

The final chance came when Jake Lovell span his marker on the edge of the area only for Grace to block his way to goal again as he saved with his knees.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Line-up: Matthew Faley, Ray Curtis (Mohammed Bashley), Nathan Webb (James Walters), Aga Brianidt, Jamie Lindsay, Daniel Mehmet, Ashley Barnes, Ollie Fayed, Esmond James (Jake Lovell), Alex Harris, Dominic McAuley. Sub not used: Abdula Nsubuga.
Harris (97).
Reed (86).