Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 1
Half-Time: 0-1 Referee: Mr J Kirkbride Attendance: 91

Manager Garry Haylock went into the second pre-season game with a slightly less experienced side than the previous game and despite coming away with a defeat would have had a good chance to look at more of his potential squad in action.

United started brightly and had Simon Shepherd found a stronger touch to a near post James Edgerley cross we could have taken a second minute lead. Just four minutes later, the ball did hit the back of the United net but unfortunately for former Hayes man Mark Nicholls his effort was ruled out as the free-kick was in-direct.

Uxbridge were soon presented with a second chance when latching onto a poor Adam Thomson clearance but the effort was wide of the target.

United then began to put some moves together of there own, skipper Nevin Saroya met a Fouahde Belaid corner but the keeper was on hand to gather at the near post. This chance was followed in quick succession by two Michael Barima efforts, the first was too high from a tight angle and the second saw an excellent block by the covering defender.

With ten minutes to go to the break Uxbridge took the lead, a surge from midfield saw a shot planted wide of Thomson's dive into the bottom corner. Minutes later we should have been on level terms, Simon Martin latched onto neat throughball but was driven slightly wide by the on-coming keeper, it was then a race towards the goal that was won by a sliding defender as the forward delayed his strike.

It took just five minutes for United to pull level in the second period, a run into the area by Edgerley was ended prematurely as he was dumped to the turf, Saroya stepping up to calmly net the spot kick.

Sadly United were not level for long, less than ten minutes in fact as one of the Uxbridge substitutes nipped in to finish off a cut-back from close range.

United substitutes Kieran Knight and Miles Jones combined well with the former seeing his volley held by the keeper and then at the other end Thomson pulled off an excellent full stretch save to stop the deficit increasing.

The last meaningful action came twelve minutes from the end, Edgerley fired goalwards from 20 yards, the keeper managed to tip the ball onto the bar but as it came out Shepherd tried to head the ball across goal instead of trying to find the net, albeit from a tight angle.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Line-up: Adam Thomson, Danny Allen-Page (Bradley Edmunds), Matthew Hislop, Peter Collins, Nevin Saroya, Fouahde Belaid (???), James Mulley (Dwain Williams), Michael Barima (Miles Jones), Simon Martin (Kieran Knight), Simon Shepherd, James Edgerley.
Saroya (50 pen).
#6 (34), #14 (58).