Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Bromley 2
Hayes & Yeading United
Half-Time: 0-0 Referee: Mr N Hair Attendance: 583

United remain winless after another defensive shut off cost Garry Haylock's side a chance of at least a share of the spoils at Hayes Lane this afternoon, in fact it could also have been different had referee Mr Hair spotted the blatant handball in the area that denied Simon Martin a second equaliser seven minutes from time.

Simon Martin on the attackThe manager kept the same XI that played out Monday's bore draw with Hampton and it was in fact United who started the livelier. Staforde Palmer received the ball 25 yards out and threaded a ball through to Martin who appeared to be pulled back by Tutu Henriques and keeper Andy Walker gathered. Minutes later a quick throw by Gilbert Nuako found Will Hendry, his swinging cross was met by the stooping Steven Gregory but his header was just wide of the target.

The home side then decided they wanted to be part of the game as well, a long thump forwards saw Gareth Williams race on only to be denied by Delroy Preddie who was quickly out to kick clear. Within seconds though the ball was back on Preddie's doorstep as Sam Wood was given space on the left and he was only just too high from 20 Steven Gregory gets his cross inyards out.

The home side were starting to take some semblance of control at this stage, Simon Osborn put Williams through against Preddie but under pressure from Tom Cadmore he screwed his shot wide of the far post and two minutes later Wood was once again given space on the left, this time his dipping volley beat Preddie from 25 yards and United were only saved by the ball going over off the top of the crossbar.

Still the home side pressed, Preddie totally missed a free-kick but Nic McDonnell could not hit the target and the United stopper was again called into action when Williams broke into the area and angled a drive towards the far post that Preddie did very well to palm away.

Having soaked up the pressure, the end of the half belonged to United as first Palmer went inches over after being set up by excellent control from Liam Collins and a last minute corner that Walker dropped caused a melee in the Bromley area but three attempts were blocked before the ball was hacked clear.

Stafforde Palmer stries to pass Tutu HenriquesThe second half started badly for United, much like seven days earlier at Havant, as Garry Haylocks side conceded within two minutes of the restart. A deep cross from the left by Wood saw Williams rise at the far post and nod the ball back to an unmarked McDonnell who picked his spot in the corner of the United net.

The home side were only ahead for three minutes though as United fought back immediately. Steve Perkins won the ball and sent Collins away down the right, his first time cross was helped on before a combination of Martin and keeper Walker at the near post saw the ball end up in the back of the net as two Bromley players bundled into their own keeper spilling the ball from his grasp.

Martin then had another header easily picked off by Walker and Hendry saw a driven free-kick fly across goal and just wide of the far post before disaster struck. A free-kick was given away in the centre circle and while everyone watched, Barry Moore grabbed the ball and fired a perfect ball up to substitute Garath McCleary who only needed one touch in lofting the ball unchallenged over Preddie who was in no man's land.

Staf takes on Duku this timeTwo minutes later Preddie was almost caught off his line again by an audacious McDonnell effort from 40 yards but the ball just cleared the bar. The manager then threw Josh Scott into the fray in place of Collins for his first action after injury and within a minute of his arrival United could have pulled level when Martin met a Nevin Saroya cross only for Walker to dive full length and push it away. Scott then got his head to a Danny Allen-Page cross but Walker easily gathered and just a minute later the returning United frontman had to be replaced as the injury jinx struck again.

Chances were still coming at both ends, McCleary moved into the area, rounding a defender and Preddie in one go but could not find the finish as defenders covered the line and a minute later United were denied a cast iron penalty. Perkins rose well to put Martin through only to see the striker denied by the hand of Duku who deliberately handled the ball back to Walker, unseen by the officials. A minute later justice was almost done when sweeper Bobby Bowry headed past his own keeper but Walker reacted well to gather on the turn.

Still United pushed for the deserved equaliser but to no avail, Saroya was far too high with a header from a Gregory free-kick and in stoppage time James Mulley and Martin combined to set up Hendry but his drive was palmed away by Walker and the United fans hearts sank yet again.

Report by Kevin Watts. Photos by Ray Peploe.

Bromley Hayes & Yeading United
1 Andy Walker   1 Delroy Preddie  
2 Mark Corneille   2 Danny Allen-Page  
3 Sam Wood   3 Gilbert Nuako  
4 Bobby Bowry   4 Tom Cadmore  
5 Francis Duku Captain 5 Nevin Saroya Captain
6 Tutu Henriques   6 Steven Gregory  
7 Peter Adeniyi   7 Liam Collins  
8 Barry Moore   8 Will Hendry  
9 Gareth Williams   9 Simon Martin  
10 Nic McDonnell   10 Staforde Palmer  
11 Simon Osborn   11 Steve Perkins  
12 Steve Clark for 2 (81) 12 Josh Scott for 7 (71)
14 Danny Hockton for 10 (76) 14 Michael Barima  
15 Junior Kadi   15 James Edgerley for 12 (81)
16 Simon Glover   16 James Mulley for 3 (85)
17 Garath McCleary for 11 (64) 21 John Peacock  
McDonnell (47), McCleary (69).
Martin (50).