Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 0
Bognor Regis Town
Half-Time: 0-1 Referee: Mr M McCoy Attendance: 333

United signed off this historic first season as a combined force with a second loss to Bognor Regis Town, the first side to ever "double" us as the Rocks had scored a 3-0 win at Nyewood Lane earlier in the campaign.

Manager Garry Haylock gave a first United start to Joao Da Silva while resting almost ever present Danny Allen-Page in a side still without the services of Will Hendry, Steve Perkins and Josh Scott. Also rested, although only to the bench, was the hard working Kieran Knight which gave a rare start to Joel Ledgister.

The visitors started well and soon forced Alessio De Angelis into a save as Chris Greatwich surged forwards before setting up winger Mark Knee who saw his drive tipped over by United's Italian stopper. Minutes later the United goal was threatened again but despite beating the wall, Scott
Chamberlain's free-kick was just too high to trouble De Angelis.

Still the Rocks came forwards as United had yet to find their feet, Wes Fogden moved forwards before feeding Seb Wallis-Taylor on the left, his driven cross was met three yards from goal by Knee but his header somehow went wide of the far post.

On 16 minutes United finally found some forward momentum as Staforde Palmer provided a shooting chance for strike partner Ledgister but his drilled effort was inches over the Rocks crossbar. It was now United's turn to put the pressure on, Ledgister sent Palmer away on the right and his near post driven cross was met by the incoming Ram Marwa but his volley was just wide of Craig Stoner's upright.

Twice in as many minutes Ledgister was to find his way to goal with just Stoner to confront him, his first effort blazed over the bar and then just 90 seconds later he fired the ball past Stoner only to see his effort come back off the crossbar and the ball was played clear.

Having seemingly taken command of the game it was a little surprising that just three minutes later the Rocks took the lead. The ball was lofted over the United defence by Greatwich and as Adam Thompson stopped to appeal for offside, Knee lofted the ball over the advancing De Angelis and Dan Beck was on hand to force the ball home from close range.

The half finished with little action, Knee saw an angled drive rustle the side netting for Bognor while Stoner easily fielded a 25 yarder from Toby Little.

United almost got the perfect start to the second half when Charlie Mapes slipped a quickly taken free-kick to Palmer in the area, his quick turn provided a shooting chance but Stoner did well to block with his legs. Two minutes later the woodwork was to again deny Ledgister, this time he saw his rasping drive crash back off a post, again to safety.

De Angelis then had to field a 20 yard effort from Fogden before the Rocks scored again. Having failed to clear a dead ball, Rocks centre-back Duncan Jupp chased the ball to the right side before firing a perfect cross that caught the United defence flat footed and skipper Chris Breach volleyed home from close range.

As United chased a recovery, Ledgister saw his shot from 12 yards well blocked by Breach and at the other end Thompson threw his frame into the path of a fierce Scott Harris shot that could have caused De Angelis problems had it got through. sadly for United Stoner was in superb form, Ledgister was again denied by the Rocks keeper after an excellent interchange with Knight and he then denied Palmer who had raced onto a Mapes pass by tipping his shot around the post.

The game, and in fact the season, closed with a strike from Kyle Matthews that was just wide of the post.Ram receives his MotM bubbly

The squad then showed their thanks for the support you have given them all season by holding up a massive "Thanks for your Support" banner in the centre circle to close off this historic season for our fantastic new club.

Report by Kevin Watts. Photos by Ray Peploe.

Match Highlights available at www.fcvideo.co.uk

Sponsors Man of the Match: Ram Marwa.

Hayes & Yeading United Bognor Regis Town
1 Alessio De Angelis   1 Craig Stoner  
2 Adam Thompson   2 David Ray  
3 Peter Collins   3 Seb Wallis-Taylor  
4 Ram Marwa   4 Scott Chamberlain  
5 Nevin Saroya Captain 5 Duncan Jupp  
6 Charlie Mapes   6 Chris Breach Captain
7 Joao Da Silva   7 Scott Harris  
8 James Mulley   8 Wes Fogden  
9 Joel Ledgister   9 Dan Beck  
10 Staforde Palmer   10 Chris Greatwich  
11 Toby Little   11 Mark Knee  
12 Kieran Knight for 11 (54) 12 Alex Haddow for 11 (75)
14 Jake Lovell for 7 (46) 14 Andy Pearson for 2 (54)
15 Kyle Matthews for 3 (64) 15 Charlie Balfe  
16 Gareth Hall   16 Tom Broadbent for 9 (83)
21 Adam Thomson   17 -  

Beck (36), Breach (54).