Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Bloom - Bossu

Ron Bloom joined Hayes in 1955, but was plagued with an ankle injury, which restricted his appearances. In two seasons he made only 4 appearances, scoring one goal.  But he was a member of the Hayes team which won the West Middlesex 6-a-side tournament at Yiewsley in October 1956, scoring four goals. He left the club in 1957 and joined Sutton United. He rejoined Hayes in November 1959, but did not play any first team matches, and went to Slough at the end of the season. He was later reported playing for Chesham United in 1962. He is reported as having died of illness at the young age of 33.

Jimmy Bloomfield is one of the Hayes immortals.  He was an elegant inside-forward at a time when England had a rich supply. Born in North KenJimmy Bloomfieldsington, he made his way up through the ‘A’ team and reserves, and made his debut for the senior team on 3 March 1951. He made 26 appearances in the three seasons that he was at Hayes, scoring four goals, before signing professional with Brentford in October 1952, scoring on his debut against Bury. He was transferred to Arsenal in 1954 for £8,000 and gained two England Under 23 caps. He was transferred to Birmingham in 1960 and then returned to Brentford in 1964 for £12,000.  It looked as if he was being groomed as the successor to Malcolm MacDonald as manager of Brentford, but the trainer Tommy Kavanagh was appointed instead, and Bloomfield was transferred to West Ham for £6,500 for daring to contact the chairman, Jack Dunnett, at the Labour Party Conference, rather than speaking to the manager first. One of his first games for West Ham was in a European Cup Winners’ Cup semi-final. At the end of his career Bloomfield played briefly for Plymouth and then joined Leyton Orient as player-manager, becoming the second former Hayes player to manage a Football League club, after Jackie Gibbons.  He then went to Leicester as manager in 1971 and back to Leyton in 1977.  He suffered from cancer while in management and died in 1983 at the all too young age of 49. He is buried in Gunnersbury Cemetery.

Ian Bolton was a utility player, who played mainly at full-back during season 1987-8.  He had had a distinguished professional career with Watford, Brentford, Notts County, Lincoln (on loan) and Barnet before dropping into non-league football with Kingsbury Town, from whom he joined Hayes. He made 45+11 appearances, scoring 8 goals, before joining Chalfont St Peter.

WJ Bond was an inside-forward in 1922-3, who scored 11 goals in only six appearances, thus capturing the prize as the Hayes player with the highest number of goals per appearance.

Chris Boothe started with Hanwell Town and took the well-worn path to Farnborough, where his goal scoring record spoke for itself - 220 Chris Bootheappearances, 110 goals.  When Hayes sold Jason Roberts to Wolverhampton Wanderers, he looked the obvious replacement at a rumoured club record fee of £11,000.  Those of us who saw his unannounced debut at Kettering could hardly believe our eyes.  But Alan Taylor, the Farnborough manager, obviously knew a thing or two - Chris’ goalscoring flair had gone, either because he had lost his drive or because his knees could no longer take the strain. Whatever the truth, he played only  in 38+17 games for Hayes, some at centre-half, and scored only eight goals. He still looked classy but, like Eddie Newton, the knees no longer had it.  After only a season and a half, he returned to Farnborough on a free transfer, and soon joined Chesham and Sutton United in the less-demanding Isthmian League. He then dropped a division with Aylesbury United, before taking the logical next step as player-coach at impoverished Enfield and then went back to Aylesbury in the same capacity and actually appeared in the team line-up in the programme for the game against Hayes at Easter 2003, but was replaced. Surprisingly, he became Aylesbury manager in summer 2003, but lasted only a few months as the Ducks became rooted to bottom spot.

The name of Boreham evokes three players who played for Hayes: father and two sons. Maurice ‘Mo’ Boreham was the most prestigious, making his debut at inside-right against Barnet in May 1963 at the age of 19. Thereafter, he did not appear again until February 1965 and was selected only sporadically.  He left to join Chesham in February 1966, then Harrow in the summer, before returning to Hayes in January 1967.  He left for Southall in the summer, and went to Uxbridge in 1969.  For Hayes he played a total of 36 games, scoring 8 goals.

His sons, Gary and Keith Boreham both played for Hayes in 1993-4: Gary made 6+1 appearances and scored one goal, before moving to Northwood; Keith made 4+3 appearances and later played for Wealdstone and Staines Town.

This brings us to our last entry, the 6’ 5” (perhaps that should be in metres) French goalkeeper, Bertrand Bossu.  Born in Calais in 1980, and brought up with FC Lens, he came to Hayes frBertrand Bossuom Barnet. Firstly on loan, when his extraordinary one-man performance brought Hayes an unlikely 1-0 victory at Boston United, after seven consecutive defeats, but cost him a broken finger, denying home fans the chance of seeing this gentle giant. And then permanently, after going to Rushden on loan. But this spell was much less happy. His inability to keep a clean sheet led to a loss of confidence behind a poor Hayes side, which eventually earned relegation from the Conference, and he lost his place to on-loan Nikki Bull. Just when we all thought that we had seen the last of him, he came on as a half-time substitute for Chris Andrews against Billericay and proceeded to show us all what he could do, claiming the goalkeeping spot as his own. Always an excellent shot-stopper, he gained the confidence to command in the air (as one would expect for a man of his height) and won the Supporters’ Player of the Year award in May 2003.  But the feat for which he will always be remembered was that of becoming the first Hayes goalkeeper to score a goal – with his head. His foray upfield in the last minute of the match at St Albans bringing out the French in him. He joined Gillingham in September 2003 and almost immediately made his début in a televised match.

They also played.......
Steve Boardman
Norman Boddy
C Bodley
P G Bolton
Alan Boocock
Micky Borst

Go back to A to Z Home page

Go back to B

Go forward to next screen