Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Anthony - Ayres

Geoff Anthony was a Welsh amateur international midfielder. He lived at High Wycombe and was a schoolteacher at Chesham. He had previously played for St Albans, Slough (in the losing Amateur final v Walton in 1973) and Wycombe, before joining Hayes in August 1976 at the age of 29.  He made 46+3 appearances and scored 4 goals in 1976-7, before joining Maidenhead with Ian Bath.

Alan Ardren was a left-back, who joined Hayes from Yeading and had previously played for Ruislip and Hillingdon. He played a total of 51+1 games from 1988 to 1990 and scored three goals, including two in a game against Tooting & Mitcham. He gained Middlesex County honours in 1989 and later returned to Yeading.

Arthur Ash joined Hayes from Lincoln City, when he moved to London on business in 1956, at the age of 22.  He played only two games, before joining Wealdstone in 1958, where he played several times against Hayes.  He returned to Hayes in 1960 and represented the Rest of the Athenian League against champions Hounslow Town, before resigning almost immediately and joining Finchley. He later played for Harlow Town (1961-3), together withRyan Ashe Dudley Baker and Les Champelovier.

Ryan Ashe played just a single season in the Hayes midfield, this being the last season prior to the merger where he made 37+1 appearances, scoring twice.

Jon AshtonJon Ashton joined Hayes on a 2-year contract in 2001 from Exeter City.  Previously he had played for his home-town club, Plymouth Argyle.  He was a rugged defender and made 17+5 appearances for the Hayes first team, but picked up too many bookings.  He was released in March 2002 and joined Dulwich.

Erwin Asselmann was one of Hayes’ first foreign players in the modern era.  A Dutch mid-fielder, he joined from Slough Town in early 1999, playing seven games and departing for Hampton before the end of the season.

Three Atkins brothers represented Hayes in the 1930s and 1940s, as well as all serving in the Forces in World War II.  The first in time-sequence was Eric Atkins, who played at left-back and left-half over a span of 14 years from 1932 to 1946.  He made 11 appearances before joining Uxbridge in September 1937, and returned after the war to play two further games.  In peace-time he worked for Lethbridge’s Dairy in Clayton Road,amd served in the Italian campaign in the war. Next came Rupert Atkins, who played 12 games at outside-right in 1935-6, scoring five goals. Despite being a success for Hayes, he played the rest of his career for his employers, Wakefield’s.  During the war he served in North Africa.

Charlie Atkins, known as ‘Dump’, was the best known of the brothers.  He was born in 1916 at Colombo in Ceylon, where his father was serving in the army.  He returned to Hayes in 1919 and attended Clayton Road School, where he was influenced by ‘Gaffer’ Clarke, the father of football in Hayes.  He made one appearance for Hayes in 1939-40, but played mainly for Hayes Wasps until 1942, when he entered the army.  He was prominent in army athletics, and was Western Command champion in the 100 yards in 1943 and 1944, with a winning time of 10.2 seconds.  While stationed in Scotland, he played for Queen of the South.  On demobilisation in 1946, he resumed his job at HMV, joined Hayes and made his debut in the 4-3 FA Cup win at Wycombe on 5 October.  Thereafter he was a regular first teamer for the rest of the season.  In all, he played  49 games for Hayes  between 1946 and 1948. His death was reported in the programme of 8 November 1994.

Born in 1899, Henry Atlee is a classic example of someone who could play both as a  goalscoring inside-forward and at centre-half.  Joining Botwell Mission in 1923, in his first season he scored the equalising goal againstHenry Atlee Brentford at RAF Uxbridge, which meant that the club would make its first appearance against  Football League opposition at their ground.  By the end of the season he had scored 18 goals; two seasons later, he bettered this with 28, including five in the match with RAF Uxbridge on 23 September 1925, finishing only two goals behind the legendary Freddy Knight, and represented the Spartan League in their match with The Army in February 1928. In total, he made over 176 appearances, scoring 57 goals. He continued to play for the Mission and then Hayes, mainly at centre-half, until 1932, when he joined Hayesco, the sports club of the Hayes Cocoa Company (Nestlé).  Henry remained a resident of Hayes, living at 184 Central Avenue, until his early death on 4 February 1953.  It was an indication of the esteem in which he was held that an obituary article appeared in the Hayes News, together with a team photograph of the Mission in 1924.

Joe AugusteJoe Auguste was a centre-forward who made 51+4 appearances in 1979-81, scoring five goals.  He followed Roy Ruffell from Hounslow and was described as having ‘clever ball control and a somewhat individualistic style of play’. He had a chequered football history; starting as an apprentice at a Football League club, but drifting into part-time soccer with Chelmsford City; failing to settle and playing in Sunday football for 3 years, before joining Hounslow.

Finally, we come to the Ayres, father and son. AW (Arthur) Ayres was President of Hayes FCAW (Arthur) Ayres from 1953 to 1963. During the 2nd World War he served as an officer in the RAF and on demobilisation he founded The Crystal-Brite floor polishing company in Feltham.  After becoming associated with Hayes he was appointed President. When he was offered a directorship by Brentford, he declined because he was happy at Hayes.  He was the instigator of Hayes’ tours to Switzerland, which were a direct result of his business connexions, as well as being an influence on the acquisition of Toni Allemann. He underwent a serious operation at Christmas 1962, and went to the Canary Islands for convalescence, but died in the summer of 1963 in his late fifties. He last saw his team play in the Amateur Cup tie at Hitchin on 30 March.  Even at this game his health was not good and he had to leave early.

His son, Ron Ayres, known as ‘Bunny’ and later as ‘Bubbles’, which he disliked, first joined Hayes in 1951, but Ron Ayresmoved to Walton & Hersham in summer 1952. He then played for Wealdstone in 1953, scoring 9 goals in 8 games, including a hat-trick against Hayes. He returned to Hayes with Ron Gadsden that summer, and was a regular for three seasons.  During this time he played 79 games and scored 44 goals. He was dogged by misfortune: he underwent an appendix operation in March 1955, and his career was brought to a premature end by a serious knee injury in December 1956, but his time was also limited by his concentration on taking his Accountancy examinations. Throughout his Hayes career he was subjected to booing, because he was the son of the club’s President.  He was on Brentford’s books in 1951 and played for Chelsea Reserves as an amateur in 1954, and for Brighton Reserves in 1955. He was twice selected for the Athenian League representative team in 1954 and 1955.  After his retirement from senior football, he continued to play for his old boys’ team, Old Hounslovians, and even helped out Hayes Reserves in April 1960, scoring both goals in a 2-1 win against Finchley.

They also played.......
Frank Appiah
Ralph Archell
Simon Aspery
Gary Austin
S Ayres

Go back to A to Z Home page

Go back to A

Go forward to next screen