Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Tiernan - Tzen

Dave Tiernan was a defender who arrived from Brentford juniors and made 10+1 appearances in the early part of the 1974-5 season.

Danny TilburyThe name 'Tilbury' has featured in local football for over a century. Yet only two players of this name have appeared in a Hayes shirt.  Danny Tilbury (pictured left) was a forward, who made 2+1 appearances, including one in the Conference, over three seasons from 1997 to 2000 before joining Wealdstone and then Northwood.

Dave Tilbury
was a defender who made only one appearance in the surprise Middlesex Charity Cup defeat at the hands of Waltham Abbey in April 1998.

Born at Feltham in 1957, Kevin Tilley was an attacking full-back, who had two separate spells with Hayes. Starting Kevin Tilley with QPR, and then moving to Wimbledon, where he won three Southern League championship and two London Senior Cup medals, he next went to Maidstone United and Aylesbury United, from where he joined Hayes in August 1982. He stayed until December 1983, when he went on loan for a month to Staines Town. At the end of the season he was off to Wycombe Wanderers and played regularly for the Chairboys in 1984-5. He returned to Hayes for the 1985-6 season, but left in the summer of 1986 to join Slough Town. He later played for Basingstoke Town and Southall. For Hayes he made 99+11 appearances and scored eight goals.

Steve Tillings was signed as goalkeeping cover for Paul Hyde in March 1984 from Addlestone & Weybridge by former manager George Goode. He made just two appearances before moving on.

A long-time player with West Middlesex clubs, Harry Tillyer played for Southall in the first post-war season and joined Hayes in 1950. Competition for a place was fierce at this time and his chance came when Johnny Gregory left to join Bromley in December 1950. Derek Neate moved inside from the wing, and Harry took over at outside-left. He played four games, scoring three goals in his first two games, but this was not enough to keep out Mickey Dowse. Harry joined Yiewsley and eventually returned to Southall in October 1955, at the age of 29.

Alan Tottman also had two spells with Hayes. The first was in 1973-4, when he came from Slough Town and Maidenhead United. He left just before New Year to join Walton & Hersham. He rejoined Hayes from Wembley, where he had played under manager Martin Hackett, in 1978, but left after Hackett was sacked. He was a skilful and fast raiding forward, who was renowned for his powerful and accurate shooting. He made a total of 41+4 appearances and scored nine goals.

Left-back Gordon Towers joined Hayes from Southall, where he had been a regular first-teamer, in summer 1980. But at Church Road he made only five appearances before moving to Maidenhead United in September 1980.

As a result of Hayes' appalling run of defeats and inability to score goals from October to December 2000, forward David Town was recruited on loan from Rushden & Diamonds as a short-term fix. A former Cobbler, he clearly did not relish Hayes' scrapping style, after life at Nene Park, but he did score one of the most important goals of the season, when he netted the second at Kettering Town in January 2001 - Kettering were relegated on the last day of the season and Hayes stayed up. Ironically, David later played for Boston United, Kettering and Havant & Waterlooville, and was last seen as a substitute for Eastleigh against Hayes. At Hayes he made 3+1 appearances and scored just that one goal.

Although he made his reputation as a player at Wealdstone, Charlie Townsend proved himself a more than adequate coach at Hayes. At Wealdstone he gained all the honours imaginable: six Great Britain caps, 34 England caps, an Amateur Cup winner’s medal in 1966, and selection for Middlesex and London FAs, Isthmian and Athenian Leagues, Southern Counties and an FA XI under Alf Ramsey. He had started with Watford juniors and joined Wealdstone in 1956. After leaving Wealdstone in 1967, he joined Hitchin Town and helped take them to the London Senior Cup. He returned to Wealdstone as coach in 1971 but left when the Stones turned professional, and joined Hayes in the same capacity. He made 23+10 appearances and was very popular at Hayes. He was voted Sportsman of the Year in 1974. He was then appointed reserve team manager, but left to join Harefield United as a player in December 1975. He later played for Maidenhead United and became reserve team manager at Wealdstone in October 1978.

At any time it is rare for a player to average more than one goal per game over an extended period. Of all the Hayes players who have scored more than 50 goals, only two meet this standard: Reg Knight, who scored 62 goals in 59 games in 1919-22, before he was cruelly struck down by TB, and Len Townsend, who managed 64 goals in 52 matches in 1935-7 at a staggering average of 1.23 goals per game. Len Townsend at Brentford Townsend joined Hayes from Isleworth Town at the age of 17 and made his debut for Hayes in October 1935, scoring in his first game against Enfield, although his team went down to a 4-1 defeat. During his first season he scored 12 goals for the first team, including a hat-trick against Uxbridge in the Middlesex Senior Cup, as well as many for the reserves. But in 1936-7 he scored a staggering 52 goals in 36 matches, with five hat-tricks, two four goal hauls, and a "double hat-trick" against hapless Pinner in the Middlesex Senior Cup. In October 1936 he signed amateur forms for Brentford, whom he had followed as a boy, and joined them professionally at the end of the season, after helping Hayes to runners-up position in the London Senior Cup against Walthamstow Avenue at Upton Park. He had to wait until Christmas Eve 1938 to make his debut in the First Division club, but predictably scored in a win at Huddersfield. During 1938-9 he made five appearances and scored four goals. During the war, while serving for six years in the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry, he scored afurther 106 goals and was known as ‘Goal a Game’ Townsend. In the first post-war season, Brentford’s last at this level, he made 33 appearances and scored nine goals in a struggling side, and was transferred to Bristol City in 1947, where he topped the English charts with 34 goals. After a brief spell with Millwall, he joined Guildford City in 1950 as player-coach. After briefly assisting Ashford Town, he returned to Hayes as team manager in 1952, taking over from former Brentford colleague and Hayes player George Wilkins. But he was sacked in August 1953 in favour of Wilkins again. From 1954 he managed Maidenhead United, twice capturing the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup and winning the Corinthian League championship for the first time in 1957-8, before surprisingly joining Slough Town, who had finished in 3rd place behind Dagenham and Maidenhead in 1959. But Slough plummeted and were languishing at the foot of the Corinthian League in April 1961, when he was told that his contract would not be renewed. He was back at Maidenhead, now promoted to the Athenian League, from 1964 until 1969, but was unable to restore the Magpies’ winning ways at this higher level, and resigned in 1969. Nevertheless he is regarded as being Maidenhead’s finest manager until Alan Devonshire and he was included in their Hall of Fame, with caricature, in the programme for the match when Hayes last played there in February 2005. He died in 1997.

Tom Tranter was a coach at Borough Road College and came to Hayes as first-team coach in February 1970 at the age of 31, having previously assisted Vince Siccardi at Southall. He was responsible for attracting several players who were training to become PE teachers to join Hayes. On one occasion he achieved his ambition of playing at senior competitive level, when he came on as substitute in the penultimate PMFL match at Maidenhead, having appeared as substitute during Hayes' tour of the Channel Islands over Easter. In July 1970 he was invited to help Brentford with pre-season training, but in August 1970 he collapsed at Middlesbrough, while visiting a relative, after attending a coaching course at Loughborough, and he was admitted to hospital with a re-occurrence of the illness two months later. But in 1976 he replaced former Hayes captain Trevor Smith as manager of Woking.

In the late 1920s, Botwell Mission, as Hayes were then called, had another prolific goalscorer. George Treasure joined the Mission from Polytechnic, against whom the Mission played in the Spartan League, in October 1926. During his career at Church Road he scored eight hat-tricks and twice scored five in a match. His most impressive hat-trick was against Peterborough & Fletton United on the first occasion that the club got into the competition proper of the FA Cup in November 1927. But his goals were in vain, as Peterborough, the forerunners of the modern Football League club, won 4-3. He played on into the Hayes era, last playing in the Athenian League in April 1931, and made 101 appearances and scored 96 goals. During the summer of 1927 he toured Russia.

In no way could Neil Trebble be called a prolific goalscorer. A tall outside-right, he joined from Stevenage Borough, for whom he had scored in an FA Cup replay against Hayes three years previously, in 1999. He had previously played for Scunthorpe United, Preston North End and Scarborough in the Football League, as well as for Combined Services. He was the subject of criticism by the Hayes crowd, although he did seem to have a suspect attitude, whether because of his treatment at Hayes or in comparison with the professionalism of Stevenage. He made 26+19 appearances and scored just two goals. He later played for Molesey and Arlesey Town, where, as player-coach, he gained some revenge in the FA Trophy in January 2004.

It came as a surprise when Terry Brown recruited Jason Tucker from Yeading in March 2000. Jason was aJason Tucker midfielder, who had already played for Aldershot, Enfield and Chertsey Town. In the last month of the season he was selected only twice. But he started in the first team from the beginning of the 2000-1 season and, frankly, was one of the more consistent players. In the absence of Jason Goodliffe through injury, he effectively ran the team. It therefore came as a double surprise when he was released after only four further appearances and made his way back to Yeading. In total, he made just 4+2 appearances.

In January 2004, when goalkeeper Jake Cole was injured, Willy Wordsworth signed Tony Tucker on loan from Walton & Hersham as his temporary replacement. How temporary that would be was not appreciated at the time. Tucker was an experienced goalkeeper, having played for Woking and Fulham. He made his debut at Kingstonian, together with the equally short-lived Warren Patmore, and played one further match against Uxbridge in the Middlesex Senior Cup, before departing. Hayes lost both matches.

When he came to Hayes in 1965 at the age of 18, Henry Tumbridge had all the credentials to succeed in the Athenian League. An ex-West Ham junior, and Islington Schools representative, he had also played for Hillingdon Borough. But he made only one appearance for the first team, at outside-right, before moving on to Ruislip Manor, where he spent the rest of his playing career. In November 1982 he was appointed manager of Staines Town, after two months as caretaker. He remained in this capacity at Staines until 1984 where upon resigning he joined the Staines committee and later served a year as their Chairman. He then retired from his job with the Bucks Free Press and moved to open a pub in the west country.

Strictly speaking, G Turner did not make an appearance for Hayes. He played at centre-half in the Middlesex Charity Cup match against Southall in March 1965, which was abandoned after 75 minutes with the score at 2-2. When the match was replayed 12 days later, veteran Derek Williams played, making his last-ever appearance.

Towards the end of his first full season as manager, Terry Brown gave a trial to several players in an attempt to build his team for an assault on the Isthmian League championship. One of them was former Brentford junior Mark Turner, who joined from Walton and Hersham and made 6+1 appearances. Brown knew what he was looking forward, and Mark clearly did not fit the bill and was allowed to move to Staines Town at the start of the 1995-6 season. By November 1995 he was playing for Chesham United, and then he moved to Hendon.

Although he was registered with Hendon, it came as no surprise when Roy Tweed guested for Hayes in an end-of-season friendly match against Crystal Palace in May 1966 – his father was a supporter, and later vice-president, of Hayes. He obviously enjoyed the experience, for he joined Hayes for the following season and stayed until August 1970, when he joined Wembley. A strong tackler, he played at centre-half, making 205 appearances and scoring eight goals.

Hayes was the furthest club from his home in Enfield that Peter Twigg played for. An executive officer at the GLC, he was signed from Dagenham by Allan Harris in the summer of 1974 at the age of 22. Playing mainly at outside- or inside-left, he made 56+1 appearances during the 1974-5 season, and scored 14 goals. He then joined Bishop's Stortford, and later played for Harlow in the early 1980s. He was also a keen cricketer.

G Tyson made two appearances, one on each wing, in 1949-50, before joining Wembley, for whom he played against Hayes in February 1951.

Jack Tzen was no stranger to Church Road when he joined Hayes at the start of the 1955-6 season. For he had kept goal for the South West Middlesex League against the Brentford & District League team in the semi-final of the Middlesex Inter-League Cup towards the end of the previous season there, and “made some fine saves”. At this time he played for Southall Athletic. After the first eight matches of the disastrous 1955-6 season, during which Hayes conceded 23 goals, his place was taken by Micky Willis and then Tommy Howe. That he was a better goalkeeper than the statistics suggest is shown by the fact that he signed amateur forms for Chelsea and also played for QPR reserves.

They also played.......
Adrian Topping
T Townsend
? Turkington

Go back to A to Z Home page

Go back to T

Go forward to next screen